Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rally, Rally, Rally

Obama_027_2
On Saturday morning, I  joined thousands of other North Carolinians in witnessing a piece of history.  I had to stand in a line at least 10 city blocks long in a steady drizzle without an umbrella.  While standing in this line that moved a distance of one block during the first hour, I had to entertain, rock to sleep, feed, and change the cloth diaper of a 15 month old.  All this had to be done without the convenience of a diaper bag, a changing table, a nearby trashcan, or even a 2 foot by 2 foot span of space.  It also had to happen through the shouting of street vendors, the grumbles of fellow citizens, and even the pounding of drums.  To say it was a challenge would be an understatement.  This was extreme parenting.



I would be lying if I said I wasn�t a bit put out.  I was battling a cold, a weak bladder made worse by a Venti Starbucks,  and my own general dislike of public events.  There were many times where my will was weak and the comfort of my home beckoned, but I persevered knowing that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  This was history and this was absolutely worth it.



As the speeches began, all the challenges of the wait melted away.  I was listening to one of the greatest orators of our time.  I was surrounded by a diverse group of  people, African-American college students, a bilingual family of four, a group of septuagenarian  women, and a priest among them.  Yet we were all there for one common cause.  We were all there with one common belief�

















Yes we can!



Crossposted at My Sweet Babboo. In addition to being an active participant in the political process, Abby is the mama of a one year old who blogs at her personal mommy blog, My Sweet Babboo.



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home